Common Names


Emma. That's my name. It always has been, probably always will be. I cannot tell you the number of times I have run into someone with my name. I have always been told, "Everyone is unique and special. We are all one of a kind." If only this were true.

    Don't get me wrong, I am very unique. My favourite food is black beans, I cry more often than most people, and my hiccups sound like a dying goose. But my name, it's so basic. In first grade, there was another Emma in my class, and our teacher made us sit beside each other. From that point on, she was Emma J and I was Emma L. And I was called Emma L for four years.

    Did you know that my name is the second most popular name in the world? Just writing that makes me feel so generic. However, I guess I feel better knowing that all the Olivias out there are feeling worse than me, knowing that their name is number one in the world. At least both of these names are good ones. Just think about what life would be like if a quarter of the world was named something like Beatrice or Delores. (No offence Beatrice and Delores.)

    But guess what? My name has a meaning. It comes from an old Germanic word meaning "whole" or "universal". Other definitions include unhurt, restored, or intact. Well, at least I won't break any bones? That's good, I guess.

    So there are some benefits to having a common name. Like the fifth most popular name in the world, Sophia, meaning "wisdom". Or the seventh most popular, Isabella, meaning "God is my oath". All in all, Emma is still an amazing name, so to all you other Emmas and Olivias out there, Good Luck.

Do you have a common or uncommon name? What is the origin, what does it mean?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Escape Part 1 - A Fictional Adventure

Sing 2 - A Movie Review

Reading Habits